Monday, July 02, 2007

FAREWELL MY FRIEND

I had a dear friend pass away this weekend.

We never spoke. It was a quiet friendship. A friendly smile, a respectful turn of the eye if we were out getting our newspapers at the same time in the morning, a gentle wave if one was in the car and the other in the lawn or when I saw him from inside if he was out.

I wonder if he knew how deeply I have come to care for him over the past 6 months.

He seemed to be such a gentle soul, like we shared a connection somehow. Maybe it was because he lived alone and I was so frequently alone. Maybe we were there for one another...I know now that we were.

Lance and I sat silently and sick at the dinner table as the events took place. We knew what had happened. Our neighbor was so calm and sure when she said, "Just pray that if it is his time, he is not afraid." I feel that he wasn't, that all is well with him.

Someone returned that night to turn his lights off and to close his blinds. (This is what Milo would have wanted. This is what he would have done.) "Thank you, whoever you were. Thank you for showing my old friend that kind of respect." I bow my head to you and thank you.

I will miss you my old friend. Go in peace.

3 comments:

Angela said...

People can touch us in ways we don’t know till they are gone.

Ms. Skywalker said...

Godspeed

Northern Michigan Mom said...

You are such a caring person. May he rest in peace.